Daikin Industries First Company in Air Conditioner Industry to be Endorsed as an Eco First Company by Ministry of the Environment
The Eco First symbol
On November 11, 2008, Daikin Industries was presented with official certification for the Eco First Program established by Japan's Ministry of the Environment in April 2008. The award recognized Daikin's Eco First Commitment of environmental protection targets. Daikin is now the first company in its industry to earn the right to use the Eco First symbol.
Under the Eco First Program, companies make a commitment to the Ministry of the Environment to carry out voluntary environmental protection activities aimed at meeting the targets of the Kyoto Protocol.
As the world's only developer and manufacturer of both air conditioners and their fluorocarbon refrigerants, Daikin makes it a top priority to reduce global warming. The company does all it can to alleviate environmental problems and focus on business areas that make this possible, establishing environmentally strategic themes, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and developing and disseminating the use of products that help customers reduce global warming.
Under our Eco First Commitment, which we revised in March 2012, the Daikin Group is striving to achieve both environmental sustainability and corporate growth by making the most of environmental technologies such as inverters and heat pumps to drive our business.
Daikin Group's Eco First Commitment
1. Reduce greenhouse gas emissions from business activities.
- By fiscal 2015 we will reduce the greenhouse gas emissions (CO2, HFC, PFC) from manufacturing processes of the entire group (including overseas companies) to one-third of fiscal 2005 levels. We will reduce emissions through offgassing measures that include the recovery and destruction of fluorocarbons from plants in Japan and overseas.
2. Develop and disseminate products that help reduce the effects of global warming.
- We will strive for a worldwide dissemination of inverter products, which offer dramatic reductions in power consumption.
- We will step up sales of residential inverter air conditioners in China so that they are present in 50% of home by fiscal 2015.
- In the market for large-capacity commercial-use air conditioners, we will disseminate more highly efficient models with inverter functions, such as highly efficient air-cooled heat-pump chillers and turbo refrigerators.
- Keeping in mind the specific needs of customers in each region, we will develop and disseminate heat pump systems for hot water heater and heating systems, which offer far higher energy efficiency than conventional combustion systems.
- We will strive to disseminate heat pump products such as natural-refrigerant (CO2) hot water supply and combination systems of air conditioners, refrigerators, and freezers for convenience stores.
- We will take our energy-efficient solutions business worldwide with our remote monitoring system for air conditioning equipment.
- We will strive to disseminate our fluorochemical products, such as film material used in solar cells and other renewable energy products, and Zeffle thermal insulation coating, which when painted onto buildings contributes to reduced air conditioning burden.
- With consideration for environmental performance, safety, and efficiency, we will conduct worldwide sales of air conditioners using HFC32, a refrigerant with a global warming potential just one-third of conventional refrigerants.
3. Keep refrigerant leaks to an absolute minimum by recovering and destroying refrigerants in all stages from manufacture to final product disposal.
- We will take requests for fluorocarbon recovery from customers in Japan 24 hours a day every day of the year, and we will properly treat fluorocarbons at destruction facilities.
- To step up measures to prevent fluorocarbon refrigerant emissions during product use, we are conducing inspections on commercial air conditioners to prevent leaks before they happen, and we are keeping records of refrigerant filling work.
4. Thoroughly manage chemical substances and reduce the amounts released.
- In Japan, we will further reduce emissions of PRTR substances by improving recovery work and incorporating processes that do not use PRTR substances.
- By fiscal 2012, we will completely eliminate the use of PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), which has been used in the manufacturing of fluorochemical products in Japan.
5. Provide education for children, the future stewards our planet, that will help them create a sustainable society.
- In Japan, we will create educational programs that will make children think about sustainability, and we will provide these programs free-of-charge to elementary schools.
- We will give children the opportunity to learn about sustainability by providing activities such as factory tours and sales events, and by operating a special environmental website.